21 October 2009

Trahison?

Which red-ink stained opera company's backers have made broad hints that they want a full-time director and fundraiser onboard -- instead of the current General Director who can barely spare one day per week?

19 comments:

Sanford said...

I'm going to guess NYCO.

1. There is an album called OK Cowboy by Vitalic, on which one of the songs is Trahison. httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNNlkvpKN6I&feature=player_embedded#
2. Rene Magritte painted a series of painting called La Trahison des images, one of hangs in a museum in Houston.

So I'm adding 1+1 and coming up with a Texas connection.

Anonymous said...

I think it's a Pearl Fishers reference.

CruzSF said...

Nico Muhly's sugar daddy?

Oh, an opera COMPANY.

Nico Muhly's sugar daddies?

Anonymous said...

Got to be one of Placido's companies.

Anonymous said...

Yes. And the backers are making BROAD hints.

LA Opera.

(Is LA Opera red-ink stained?)

Will said...

Domingo may well be correct: "Trahison" is Sampson's anguished cry at the end of act 2 of the opera as he's assaulted by the Philistines--many of whom may also be in Mr. Domingo's audiences.

Will said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
messa di voce said...

And the LA Board really thought they were getting a full-time director when they hired Domingo? Give me a break!

squirrel said...

These organizations think they know what they want but really have no clue.

The Chicago Symphony and Daniel Barenboim couldn't agree on these sorts of things, so Barenboim left. And who did they hire? MUTI! omg. Terrfic conductor, but a pretty egotistical moron.

Anonymous said...

Let's call it instant karma (from the ghost of Wagner?) for that ridiculous Ring that LA Opera put on. "Trahison"? Hardly, how about "Trashy"?

Anonymous said...

Your collective ignorance is simply breathtaking.

Anonymous said...

well, stop sucking in your breath and explain why, moron!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a Domingo deal to me.
Sure I can run two opera companies,
run a competition, sing (sort of),
conduct (sort of) plus keep my fingers in all the other pies I have spread around the world.

Anonymous said...

Having been around one the great man's companies, I remember the magical moment in his first season as GD where the NYT wrote on the failure of his restaurant to secure a good review. He issued a press release assuring the New York public that he had been in his restaurant every day for the last month to watch quality control. He had, of course, been visible at his 27 million dollar new toy on the Potomac for 10 days that year. Amazing to see that that comedy is still running 13 years later.....

Anonymous said...

Mais non! The real comedy will be when he attempts one of the pinnacles of Verdi baritone roles at the MET later this season. Why won't he just GO AWAY?????????

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Domingo and LA Opera. LA Opera is having a garage sale, selling costumes from past productions (Nicholas and Alexandra anybody?)to make ends meet and to pay Mr. Domingo's salary.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Anonymous #1. LA Opera took on a hideous Ring that no one was interested in, they lost MEGA bucks on the venture and now have to sell everything to pay for Topless' salary. Wagner's revenge is cruel and just. Siegmund and Siegliende should NOT look like "black and white ying and yang cookies". Bel rispetto!

Anonymous said...

Ah, right, and Eli Broad is one of the backers.

squirrel said...

I agree with Anonymous!

Seriously, can you guys get serial numbers or something?

I am gonna pull a Zeffirelli and say that while I didn't see that LA Ring, it was HIDEOUS