25 February 2007

Crossing over

Angela Gheorghiu sings "La vie en rose" at the Paris Garnier Gala conducted by Ion Marin, New Year's Eve 2006.

13 comments:

JRD said...

The voice itself is so versatile and chameleon-like that she can pretty much sing anything. That unforgettable Gheorghiu quality: dark timbre and burnished tone, to die for!

scifisci said...

I love angela...though the rest of NYC doesn't seem to agree. Those boccanegras didn't sell out like renee's onegins, which is a shame because angela does amelia so well. Even more outrageous is how as of today, there are still ample seats for her single traviata on march 24th!!

Here she sounds pretty good...at least it is tasteful crossover, unlike renaaaays hideous jazz acid trip wailings.

sally said...

Those Onegins deserved to sell out. Great performances by all. Renee sang and acted to perfection. After a performance like that, who cares about her crossover.

scifisci said...

i didn't say the onegins did not deserve to sell out, i just said that the boccanegras with gheorghiu should have also.....

Cameron Kelsall said...

Just exquisite. Can't wait to see her Amelia on Tuesday.

Unknown said...

I missed the opening night Met broadcast of the Boccanegras. I was very sad about it, especially as I will be on a plane for the Staurday morning one, so can;t hear it either!
As far as Renee, I have been a serious detractor of hers for a couple of years - I love the voice, hate the sloppy slurs and scoops. However, I listened to the Broadcast of Onegine as I was driving home last Saturday. I had to pull pver during the letter scene i was so overwhelmed by the sheer perfection of her singing. Gone were the scoops, glottals and loss of support. All that was left was a gleaming sunshine of music, piercing with emotion (which is rare for Renee to that extent) and pure in honesty! Well done Girl!

ljc said...

Angela's song is in the same index on youtube as a bunch of original Piaf videos. See and hear Edith on those old French kinoscopes to get something beyond the earth musically. AG is way too operetic, and the orchestra is way too Bayreuth.

Kashania said...

I've been critical of Fleming in that past (some of her mannerisms have driven me up the wall) but her Tatiana was fabulous, the Letter Scene exhilirating. Anyone see the cinecast? I was left shaking by the final scene.

Unknown said...

Ion Marin ... wow ... blast from the past.

Rachel said...

Renee's Tatiana was sheer brilliance. I was at the cinecast on Saturday afternoon and was absolutely blown away by every aspect of it. She could not have impressed me more. I love her in this repertoire. Absolutely gorgeous.

Dr.B said...

More please.

Dr.B said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dollylama2007 said...

I heard Simone Boccanegra in the house on Tuesday - I was not thrilled with her Amelia at all.

Each year that I hear her, her voice seems more delicate, smaller and/or to have less presence.

I don't know if this is some type of actual shrinkage or just a proportional thing as she takes on 'bigger' roles (at the Met, I am specifically referring to this as well as the one-acter from Tosca).

But then again even last year's Traviata had a munchkin quality to it.

As Amelia she sounded too small scale, and "pretty" but that about it. her meat and potatoes top sounded a little edgy, and the middle and bottom zones weak, leading to a general lack of authority in the role.

No idea how she plans to sing Carmen in that same opera house with a small middle and lower voice.

Not sure what direction she should take with future repertoire but she did a smart thing to cancel Elisabetta in Donn Carlo, in my opinion.

I can see why she isn't selling out the house in this repertoire.

Maybe in Rondine, which should be fine for her, she will sell out.