Beverly Sills was nothing if not precocious (and La Cieca means that in every way -- listen to the way the little sexpot purrs, "G'bye, Uncle Sol" at the end of the clip!) Anyway, here she is at somewhere between seven and nine years of age in the 1938 film short Uncle Sol Solves It. Note that even before La Sills grew into her voice, she already had locked into the trademark Sills body language, including the bouncing hands and little bob of the head when hooking into the top notes. And note also the very solid musicianship and tasteful use of rubato -- even when (as at about 2:45) she has to throw a warning "follow me!" glance at her accompanist!
There's oodles more Sillsiana on Thanksgiving night on PBS Great Performances -- check your local listings and don't forget to set the DVR! (And later in the week, La Cieca will explain how she's only one degree of separation from La Sills. No, really.)
8 comments:
aawwwwwwwwwwwwwww factor of 47.
Delicious, La Cieca. I had already watched this video in youtube, thank you very much for posting. You are the best!!
Kisses from faaaaaaaaar away São Paulo-Brazil
Dalva (a lady)
I am going to miss the telecast, but the DVD was released on November 21. Check it out at Amazon.com.
She sure could wobble warbles but she was always so darn warm and likeable.
this special was amazing - so much incredible bel canto singing in the 2 hours, and they showed many complete arias and performances. Her musicianship, her intelligence, her complete command of coloratura technique, her rhythmic thrust, her spectacular speed and accuracy, the honey colored pianissimo and ability to spin and float with unstoppable breath - she was and is an amazing testament to the glories of what singing used to be.
Now we get Renee and Anna Netrebko. Do these two even coach their bel canto attempts anymore? It's just pathetic....
Balabanov, I couldn't have put it better! The special was a glorious testament to La Sills. As a teenage singer in the 70s, I worshiped her. Last night I was reminded why.
Yes, arguments are there for Sutherland and Caballe but Sills presented one helluva package. The half-voice singing takes your breath away. The dramatic commitment. Most of all, though, last night's special evidenced her phenomenal musicianship. I kept thinking: Is Renee watching? No, I seriously doubt she's getting anywhere close to the coaching of Sills. Two and a half hours every morning with Gagnon?
Best part of the special? The Baby Doe moment. Sills is the ONLY Baby Doe and Moore sure seemed to agree.
I wrote something on Bubbles in my blog (just click operachanteuse) that I hope Sills fanatics would really like.
Never could stand that voice. Godawful even when she was on pitch (i.e. before 1971). But you have to like the personality. I have fond memories of how she spoke a word or made a gesture ... none of how she sang anything. I too am one degree of separation as I was in the Columbia College chorus with her charming stepdaugter, Nancy, who proudly told us she'd had vocal coaching from her mother [sic].
Post a Comment