29 November 2006

Ancient Chinese secret, revealed

So, more scoop on that "emergency meeting" La Cieca hinted at yesterday. It seems that the costumes for the Met's new production of The First Emperor arrived from China in the last couple of weeks. La Cieca is told that when the boxes were unpacked, the wardrobe staff complained of a strong chemical odor emanating from the garments. One worker, she hears, had to visit the hospital complaining of "serious respiratory problems," other staffers report rashes, eye irritation and such. On Monday the costumes were transported to a large rehearsal room to "air out," but, according to La Cieca's source, the room "was reeking in about five minutes."

Which brings us to yesterday's meeting, which was chaired by no less than Joe Clark, which suggests that the Met is taking the situation very seriously. According to an attendee, the staff was assured that the costumes were being aired and laundered, even though no one knows for sure the exact nature of the irritant. "Testing" will continue for several weeks. Oh, and our source adds that even after the costumes were removed from the rehearsal room, the odor lingered on. In fact, La Cieca hears that the next group of singers scheduled to rehearse in the room refused to enter, the stink was so overwhelming.

The elephant in the middle of the room (metaphorically speaking, of course) is how Placido Domingo and the other First Emperor artists are going to react when they are asked to don these allegedy allergen-rich garments -- and then sing for three hours.

86 comments:

JATM2063 said...

Maybe they'll cancel the production and schedule something people are interested in hearing. After last year's dud An American Tragedy one would hope they had learned their lesson.

operaman50 said...

If something smells like s--t -- it usually IS s--t!

Kashania said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kashania said...

All I can say about the costumes thing is YIKES!!!!

And I disagree with you, jatm2063. From what I read and heard, American Tragedy wasn't a dud (it wasn't a roaring success either) and I hope that the Met continues to foster new operas -- whether it's comissioning new ones or giving other new operas a try (like they are doing with Dr. Atomic).

jondrytay said...

Agreed, papagenodz. 'Dud' is not a synonym for 'not in the canon'. People moan about endless Bohemes and then moan when a new work is scheduled.

Chalkenteros said...

yeah, I won't be seeing this. I would, but, like, it's all sold out. And I'm not going to be in town often enough during the run to wait in line at the box office. Oh well.

Anonymous said...

Thank God for the papagenodz's of the world (and others too). Why on earth to condemn a new piece without having heard a thing.

It's quite an interesting work.....and the costume issue is not with the principal costumes...

Van Twee said...

I hereby join the dogpile on Jatm and Operaman.

Operaman, these costumes may "smell like" what-have-you, but have you noticed that they were been designed by the lady who costumed Ran, 8 1/2 Women and House of Flying Daggers--three of the best-dresed movies of my lifetime? (Opera lovers may remember her work on Julie Taymor's flawless Oedipus.) So let's at least see these outfits on the stage, shall we, before we decide that they are... what-have-you.

Drew80 said...

Tan Dun's music is brilliant? That's a risible claim. His music is immediately acccessible, like film music, but few would describe it as brilliant.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps they should forget the costumes and change the name of the opera - "The First Emporer's New Clothes"!

scifisci said...

i just attended a round table discussion with the director, librettist, and the composer and they all seemed very passionate and serious about this production. Tan Dun spoke eloquently and knowledgably and obviously has done his homework. I am really looking forward to this opera....let's hope there's much of the cinematic drama and sweep which his best music has!

Ruxxy said...

Thankyou Callasorphan- may I also wish you and everyone a wonderful Christmas Season and may your stockings be well and truly stuffed! - full of good things :)
peace and love to all

Anonymous said...

To One and All on this site - although I don't officially celebrate Christmas until January 7, I wish all of you a joyful and peaceful holiday season and a New Year full of health, happiness and a continuation of your witty comments. I just love being a part of this.

Anonymous said...

I am heading off to meet my partner in Vietnam on Monday - spending a few weeks there - going to celebrate my 60th in Hanoi!!!! - then on to Hong Kong for Christmas and Beijing for New Years. Not sure how often I'll be able to catch up on the gossip and the news.

Want to say thank you La Cieca for all the glorious gossip and some truly wonderful Unnatural Acts.

Wishing everyone the Merriest of Christmases, the happiest of holidays and the best of New Years.

Anonymous said...

Van Twee --

Who designed the costumes isn't relevant... it's who BUILT them - and what sort of chemicals they used. Designers do not typically specify how to get certain colors... they are more likely to simply hand off drawings and renderings and say "make it so."

Van Twee said...

Lee--

Right you are. What with all the snark being piled on this show--a little prematurely, it seems to me--I assumed Operaman was just using the stinky costumes as an excuse to badmouth the production in general. A bit uncharitable of me. Certainly, a shoddily manufactured costume can prove at least as disastrous as a poorly designed one!

Anonymous said...

Great Article! Thank You!

Anonymous said...

Thanks to author! I like articles like this, very interesting.

Anonymous said...

nice blog!Nice information

Anonymous said...

:-) ochen\' zaebatyj blog!

Anonymous said...

soglasen s vami ochen\' zaebatyj blog!

Anonymous said...

Keep up the great work. It very impressive. Enjoyed the visit!

Anonymous said...

GUybC0 write more, thanks.

Anonymous said...

actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog.

Anonymous said...

Nice Article.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog.

Anonymous said...

Hello all!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog.

Anonymous said...

actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.

Anonymous said...

Magnific!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog.

Anonymous said...

Please write anything else!

Anonymous said...

Thanks to author.

Anonymous said...

actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.

Anonymous said...

Oops. My brain just hit a bad sector.

Anonymous said...

Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I.

Anonymous said...

Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Anonymous said...

The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Anonymous said...

The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Anonymous said...

A lot of people mistake a short memory for a clear conscience.

Anonymous said...

Build a watch in 179 easy steps - by C. Forsberg.

Anonymous said...

All generalizations are false, including this one.

Anonymous said...

Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I.

Anonymous said...

Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I.

Anonymous said...

Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake!

Anonymous said...

Oops. My brain just hit a bad sector.

Anonymous said...

Clap on! , Clap off! clap@#&$NO CARRIER

Anonymous said...

The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Anonymous said...

Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake!

Anonymous said...

Hello all!

Anonymous said...

Energizer Bunny Arrested! Charged with battery.

Anonymous said...

Thanks to author.

Anonymous said...

C++ should have been called B

Anonymous said...

If ignorance is bliss, you must be orgasmic.

Anonymous said...

The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Anonymous said...

If ignorance is bliss, you must be orgasmic.

Anonymous said...

What is a free gift ? Aren't all gifts free?

Anonymous said...

Save the whales, collect the whole set

Anonymous said...

Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Anonymous said...

All generalizations are false, including this one.

Anonymous said...

The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Anonymous said...

Please write anything else!

Anonymous said...

Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Anonymous said...

A lot of people mistake a short memory for a clear conscience.

Anonymous said...

The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Anonymous said...

Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake!

Anonymous said...

Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake!

Anonymous said...

When there's a will, I want to be in it.

Anonymous said...

Please write anything else!

Anonymous said...

Calvin, we will not have an anatomically correct snowman!

Anonymous said...

Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Anonymous said...

What is a free gift ? Aren't all gifts free?

Anonymous said...

A lot of people mistake a short memory for a clear conscience.

Anonymous said...

A flashlight is a case for holding dead batteries.

Anonymous said...

When there's a will, I want to be in it.

Anonymous said...

Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Anonymous said...

C++ should have been called B

Anonymous said...

Hello all!

Anonymous said...

Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.

Anonymous said...

Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake!

Anonymous said...

Magnific!

Anonymous said...

Oops. My brain just hit a bad sector.

Anonymous said...

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog.

Anonymous said...

Beam me aboard, Scotty..... Sure. Will a 2x10 do?