The first donnybrook of the Gelb era may well be the Revolt of the Standees. As most of you know, the Met's Standing Room policy for the past 20 years or so has been to sell tickets for each week's performances on Saturday morning. The queue that formed early in the a.m. has been under the unofficial but unquestioned authority of Josephine Rowe.
For the upcoming season, however, a change of rules will be put into place. Standing room tickets will go on sale daily, for that night's performance only, and the "Upstairs" (Family Circle) standing places will not be available unless the entire Family Circle seating section is sold out. Effectively, the Saturday morning "line" would cease to exist.
Now, La Cieca is of the offhand opinion that these changes would make little effective difference to most operagoers, even most standees, since only on rare occasions are Family Circle and both standing areas sold 100%. On the other hand, the diehard standees, those who attend multiple times weekly, would probably find it at least cumbersome to buy tickets daily. So there's a tradeoff here, with the longtime standees getting something less than the best end of the bargain.
Well, this morning, La Cieca got an email from Ms. Rowe (She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed) laying out her side of the story:
Madame La Cieca:
Please allow me to enlighten your good self as to standing room and standees. We are a loyal bunch who have risen since the 80's when the late Helen Quinn successfully submitted a petition to allow standees to purchase their tickets one week in advance. The family circle nonsense is not as liberal as it would seem and the few available seats are in really bad locations, if at all. . . . As to Orchestra standing room 100 numbered positions, that is either sold out or not, depending on the opera and with the exception of a few hard boiled old well dressed and well heeled and financially secure old biddys who race to seats (3 or 4 of these) everyone observes the rules. If some departing patron chooses to offer his/her ticket stubs then, of course, the standee is more than grateful and delighted to accept a seat for the remainder of the performance.
To have changed their policy imposes MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE A BIG HARDSHIP in many people who work for a living at jobs that they cannot show up to late in the day. Many of us like to attend 3/4 times a week and no employer would tolerate the absences that this would entail if the opera lover had to feed his/her addiction. With so many jobs low level, midlevel, computer, manufacturing, etc. being 'OUTSOURCED" with the blessing of our government (never to return) people who depend on their jobs cannot risk them.
The Met is the envy of opera lovers from all over the world because of its civilized arrangements for standees. Saturday morning purchases for the upcoming week (most of us are free to stand in line on Saturdays) and the numbered positions that allow us to dress decently for the opera instead of wearing bullet proof vests and combat boots in order to be successful in the stampede for tickets and thence for places. Only the bullies and the supremely fit would be successful. I would not attend many operas if I had to endure this madness because I would be at home nursing my injuries as I am only five feet nothing in my shoes!!!! Your good self would not like
to have her silks and satins and Armani clothing rent and stained in this horror.
Now if you would like to help us persuade Broadway Pete to reinstate the policy and use your not inconsiderable influence we would be most grateful Mama.
We had an extraordinary meeting to this end on last Saturday and hand delivered a letter with 20 signatures (Helen had 300) to backstage security at the Met. We hope that everyone we know will write letters immediately to Mr. Gelb to reverse this draconian act. Please send copies to me so that I may attach them to the Petition proper that I hope to hand in on or before next Thursday.
Yes, attendances and purchases of both seats and standing room have dropped dramatically since 9/11 sad to say and have never really recovered so all the more reason to encourage patrons from whatever station in life they come from an opera lover is a precious commodity in this day and age when audiences are shrinking. Gelb is all out, he says, to encourage new audiences especially young people. Well, young people cannot afford $350 seats or more and the standees of today may be the benefactors and expensive seat buyers of tomorrow. Some corporate and professional gentlemen have oft recounted to me their student days on the line and now they donate sizeable amounts of money from their own pockets and large sums from corporate funding to the arts. All this because of their good experiences as standees. One can never afford to insult people or be unkind in this manner it is short sighted and does not account for future developments. Someone once ... reminded me that 'THE PEOPLE YOU MEET ON THE WAY UP ARE THE SAME PEOPLE THAT YOU WILL MEET ON YOUR WAY DOWN" AND IT IS SO TRUE.
Madame, any assistance you may be able to give us will be greatly appreciated. Your wisdom and influence reaches far and wide so I am hoping for great results.
Thank you and Good night.
Sincerely, Josephine Rowe
So let's throw the controvery open for discussion, shall we?
77 comments:
Here's an idea. Obviously there are some standees who want to attend nightly, or almost nightly, during the season. How about a weekly standing room pass -- you pay, say, $90 or $150 at the box office on Saturday, and you've got "your" standing place for any and all performances that week. (This would only work as a package deal, obviously -- you'd have to commit to all 7 of the week's performances.) That way the "every nighters" get a first shot at the week's standing room, and there's plenty of SR left over for the daily attendees.
Err... I thought that most Opera Houses operated a day tickets system, to offer those who do not have the opportunity to pre-book, an opportunity to attend the Opera. People who may not necessarily live the city or attend regularly. It seems absurd to me that you would have to turn up on the Saturday to get a place for a performance later in the week. That a group seems to have developed that pick up the tickets for multiple tickets seems unfair and unreasonable. I have to book tickets often six months in advance, why can’t they?. The one thing that I do not understand is the issue of the family circle. That seems narrow minded.
I think the Wiener Staatsoper system works fairly well. Everyone is very intent on following the rules. You line up, buy your ticket 90 minutes before the opera starts, and claim your spot when they open the house. And you can't beat 3.50 Euros for parterre- and they're much better spots than the Met because the house is much smaller. The only unfortunate part is the scarf-tying is about 50 minutes before the opera starts, not giving much time for a decent dinner. I was in standing room about 15 times while living in Vienna this summer, and it always worked smoothly.
I personally welcome the new policy because I don't live in New York and therefore when I want to go to the Met cheaply I have to sit in the Family Circle, when I'd generally prefer to stand in the back of orchestra. But I can understand the complaints.
Vienna's capriciously applied dress code, however, sucks. Not the fact that it exists, just its highly selective enforcement.
Umm...maybe I just don't understand all this...but as long as I've been going to the Met, I've never noticed anything strange about buying Standing Room tickets...I've never stood on the Saturday morning line (I sleep on Saturday mornings) and I have (unfortunately) had to purchase standing room tickets for at least 3 performances when the Family Circle had been sold out that evening.
I sit in the FC because that is where you HEAR the best - I could care less about what everything looks like - I want great music. Of course, when I get comp tickets from my friends who perform (famous and not so famous) I love sitting in Row J or somewhere else up in the front - that's always a good time...or in the GM's box - although I HATE having a ceiling over me that is so close to me - it disrupts the sound waves and then I don't get to hear things the way they really are.
But I don't see what the problem is - I've bought Standing Tickets before a performance during the week - what is the big deal? Did I just totally miss everything? And I've read everything here.
Thank you for your explanation, Paddypig. I just do not think that it is fair that a select few should be able to buy up tickets for several performances on one day. The fact that they do it week in week out is not really relevant. Are these people, the students or low-incomers you envision these tickets were designated for? Selling on the day, seems fairer on everyone.
As long as they can turn up possibly nearly a week before the performance.
I understand the arguments regarding those on limited income, as I am in the boat myself. However, when you mention that 'The daily sales limits sales to retirees, students who do not have early classes', surely these are exactly the sort of people who should be buying the standing passes, rather than those who have jobs.
I understand that these people must be frustrated, but the system is there for everybody, not just to fit their work schedule.
opera in the uk et al:
The situation is different at the Met for the following reasons: there are precisely TWO opera houses ON EARTH (I have no data for elsewhere) that give seven performances a year for eight months of the year. One is in Vienna, which is small, has a strong local following and huge government subsidies, and rigid traditions that make everything Stateside look absurdly casual. The other is the Met, which is twice as large and no longer has the enormous local immigrant audience that kept it full from its creation until the 1990s. Tickets cost too much and Gelb probably noticed that the Family Circle (which was always packed in my youth) is now usually half-empty, so that standees up there can always sit down after Act I -- earlier if the ushers aren't looking. (I go up there for heavily orchestral operas: Wagner, Berlioz, Strauss. Yes, the faces are tiny but the sound really is better.)
There is a Saturday standing room line because filling the plaza (as used to occur) for hours before the box office opens two or three days a week was a major headache on all sides. That wouldn't happen now, because there aren't many performances or singers who would draw at the old level. (La Cieca's suggestion of seven-day passes would be a hit -- for both of the people who would care to have such a thing. It would make no sense for the rest of us, and Cieca knows it.) Having to rise at a preposterous hour and still be awake all day and into the evening is an excessive demand on those who really do love opera but have lives outside the House. The present system works very well most of the time (I stress that last phrase), and the only reason I can see for changing it is that a new management loves to show it's changing things, no matter the illogic. Those who care about certain operas or certain singers (and casts do change at the last minute sometimes, and yes it does matter -- if you think it doesn't, why are you at Partere Box?) can get the matter of scheduling performances settled on one morning a week and not worry about juggling sleep time, work time, weather, subway breakdowns, etc. with a different schedule to worry about each week.
Having Josephine in charge is fresh air after putting up with evil-tempered Helen all those years. (It does seem to me a bit ungalant if no worse to add ten years or so to Josephine's age, by the way.)
The standees are one of New York's splendid little communities within the city -- it is a delight to find others of like mind to discuss affairs of interest, and more than delightful when such a community is not closed, as so many intimate ones are, to those who are not millionaires. The opera standees are a fine tradition and the Met does itself a disservice, in its quest for new audiences, if it goes about the search by antagonizing or dismissing the old and devoted ones. Nowadays, after all, we can always stay home with our recordings, DVDs, webcasts and so forth. Those who really do like it live should be accommodated, since no great new expense would be entailed and the Met without traditions would soon perish.
I'm pretty sure the new young audiences unfamilar with opera don't want to go to standing room unless proper mosh pit facilities (including dancing, clothing removal and supplies of X) are provided, or at least allowed for.
I think the most serious problem here is not the particular ticket sales policy (although I agree that the new system imposes a hardship on those of us who actually, like, *work*) but rather something mentioned way back up at the beginning of this discussion:
Can the MET really afford to alienate the current standees, who may indeed in the future become the house's staunchest allies and major (financial) supporters?
Hmmmm...
The way it works at Covent Garden is that 67 tickets scattered round the house are held back for a day sale. The remainder are released in two tranches, firstly for "Friends" and then for everyone else. There are some standing places, scattered through the house, and some very cheap seats with Restricted View. No differentiation is made in how they are sold (except for the 67, and for boxes), so when booking opens it's possible to mix-and-match different price ranges...if I'm going twice, at least one of those will be a cheap seat or standing, if I'm going with my partner I go up a bit in price.
If it's not that popular, more than 67 will be available on the day of performance. For a 'hot ticket' you cross your fingers when booking opens, or else you phone up every day for returns, or form an orderly queue at silly o'clock on the day for one of the 67.
Gert
KKFn5U The best blog you have!
1IrWfv actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.
Magnific!
Thanks to author.
Hello all!
Magnific!
actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.
Wonderful blog.
ppMG3P write more, thanks.
actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.
Wonderful blog.
Wonderful blog.
Please write anything else!
Magnific!
Please write anything else!
Please write anything else!
Thanks to author.
Please write anything else!
Wonderful blog.
Beam me aboard, Scotty..... Sure. Will a 2x10 do?
Please write anything else!
Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake!
Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.
Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I.
Energizer Bunny Arrested! Charged with battery.
A lot of people mistake a short memory for a clear conscience.
Beam me aboard, Scotty..... Sure. Will a 2x10 do?
Beam me aboard, Scotty..... Sure. Will a 2x10 do?
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies
Magnific!
actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.
Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake!
Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!
When there's a will, I want to be in it.
Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake!
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!
Magnific!
Thanks to author.
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
640K ought to be enough for anybody. - Bill Gates 81
When there's a will, I want to be in it.
actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.
What is a free gift ? Aren't all gifts free?
Energizer Bunny Arrested! Charged with battery.
Calvin, we will not have an anatomically correct snowman!
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies
Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake!
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies
What is a free gift ? Aren't all gifts free?
Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I.
Clap on! , Clap off! clap@#&$NO CARRIER
Energizer Bunny Arrested! Charged with battery.
640K ought to be enough for anybody. - Bill Gates 81
Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.
Energizer Bunny Arrested! Charged with battery.
Save the whales, collect the whole set
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Clap on! , Clap off! clap@#&$NO CARRIER
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies
Build a watch in 179 easy steps - by C. Forsberg.
Oops. My brain just hit a bad sector.
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Magnific!
What is a free gift ? Aren't all gifts free?
Post a Comment